SAF exists to provide an outstanding education for all our students, putting their progress at the heart of everything we do.
We expect that colleagues will strive for excellence in every aspect of their work. In return they, can expect high quality training and development to support them develop their careers.
The SAF career flight path is designed make clear the professional development opportunities available to all our teaching and support staff.
NPQH - National Professional Qualification for Headship
This qualification develops talented leaders from all backgrounds who can deliver educational excellence in a self-improving system, and high-quality outcomes for pupils and students. NPQH will give you the confidence, skills and professional knowledge you need to deliver the best for pupils and all members of the school community in preparation for your first headship post.
It's for those who are:
aspiring headteachers or principals in a school or academy no more than 18 months away from being credibly able to apply for a headship post
NPQSL - National Professional Qualification for Senior Leaders
National Professional Qualification for Senior Leaders
NPQSL is suitable for those who are, or are aspiring to become a senior leader with cross-school responsibilities e.g. an experienced middle leader, a deputy head teacher, an assistant head teacher, or other senior staff.
The course consists of five days of Face to Face training:
- Day 1 Succeeding in Senior Leadership
- Day 2 Leading Learning and Teaching
- Day 3 Leading with Impact
- Day 4 Leading Effective Partnerships
- Day 5 Leading Strategically
NPQSL is delivered by facilitators trained and accredited by Leadership CoLab, a partnership between UCL Institute of Education (IOE) and over 200 outstanding schools and partners. The programme is accredited by NCTL.
NPQML - National Professional Qualification for Middle Leaders
National Professional Qualification for Middle Leaders
NPQML is suitable for those who are, or who are aspiring to become, a middle leader with responsibility for leading a team e.g. a key stage leader, a curriculum area leader, a pastoral services leader, a subject leader, a special educational needs co-coordinator (SENDCO), or a head of department. This includes those who are, or are aspiring to be a middle leader with cross-school responsibilities e.g. a Specialist Leader of Education (SLE).
The course consists of four days of Face to Face training:
- Day 1 Leading with Impact
- Day 2 Leading Learning and Teaching
- Day 3 Leading Effective Partnerships
- Day 4 Leading Strategically
NPQML is delivered by facilitators trained and accredited by Leadership CoLab, a partnership between UCL Institute of Education (IOE) and over 200 outstanding schools and partners. The programme is accredited by NCTL.
Outstanding Teacher Programme
Designed by OLEVI and facilitated by experienced school leaders and teachers, the Outstanding Teacher Programme (OTP) gives good and outstanding teachers a set of high level skills and strategies that enable them to become consistently and sustainably outstanding. Utilised in the London and City Challenge Projects and endorsed by the National College, the OTP has gained a national reputation for raising standards in teaching and learning.
The OTP will provide teachers with:
- the ability to demonstrate higher level understanding of teaching and improve learning for their pupils
- the ability to coach colleagues and pupils in their own school and in other schools to raise performance levels
- the ability to create a proactive school culture where the quality of teaching and learning is openly observed, discussed, challenged and enhanced
- increased professional satisfaction and create opportunities for further leadership and career progression
Improving Teaching Programme
Designed by OLEVI and facilitated by experienced school leaders and teachers, the highly effective and motivating Improving Teacher Programme gives teachers, who want to improve their practice, a set of skills and strategies to reach the next teaching level. Utilised in the London and City Challenge Projects and endorsed by the National College, the ITP has gained a national reputation for raising standards in teaching and learning.
The ITP will enable teachers to:
- provide their students with the best possible learning experience
- improve standards in their classrooms and schools
- increase their job satisfaction and quality of experience
- work more effectively as active members of their school team
SLE - Specialist Leaders of Education
Specialist Leader of Education Status
SAF TSA welcomes applications for SLE status from expert teachers and leaders who have:
- a successful track record of working effectively within your own school and/or across a group of schools, or working with a range of leaders within a single school
- evidence of successfully using coaching and/or facilitation skills to bring about sustainable improvements
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a good understanding of what constitutes ‘outstanding’ in your field of expertise and the ability and confidence to communicate this
- a good understanding of how your specialism and skills can contribute to wider school improvement goals
- an analytical approach in identifying and prioritising needs
- the ability to set and establish new and innovative working practices
- the ability to grow leadership capacity in others
RQT - Recently Qualified Teacher Programme
Recently Qualified Teacher Programme
A three-day programme designed by the Eastern Leadership Centre (ELC) for recently qualified teachers. This certified programme is quality assured by the ELC and is approved by the Teaching Schools Council.
With a focus on reflective practice and a coaching style, the programme is centred around three face to face days with associated inter-sessional activities:
- Great Teaching - becoming an expert practitioner in the classroom through impact, reflection and risk
- Leading Learning - taking others with you through inspiration, vision and values
- Forging ahead - pathways to further success
NQT - Newly Qualified Teacher
NQT Appropriate Body
SAF TSA NQT Appropriate Body offers a comprehensive range of packages enabling schools to tailor the support to the needs of individual NQTs. Our key aims are to improve learning outcomes for children and young people by ensuring that NQTs have the range of skills, knowledge and experience that will enable them to deliver high quality learning activities; and to retain the best quality teachers by giving NQTs opportunities to develop their careers successfully.
ITT - Initial Teacher Training
A widely respected, highly effective 'real school environment' alternative route to becoming either a primary or secondary school teacher.
We offer three comprehensive training routes where young and mature students can learn how to become inspirational teachers and future school leaders. Discover which route is best for you to get into teaching.
OTAP - Outstanding TA programme
Outstanding Teaching Assistant Programme
The Outstanding Teaching Assistant Programme is for teaching assistants who are, or who have the potential to be, outstanding in their roles. It is intended to develop the potential for Teaching Assistants to have a wider impact on improving the quality of teaching and learning across the school. Designed and facilitated by experienced school leaders and teachers the OTAP forms part of the OLEVI Teaching & Learning Syllabus which has gained a national reputation for raising standards in teaching and learning.
OTAP enables teaching assistants to:
- place a greater emphasis on the purpose and value of the lessons they support
- raise levels of engagement and achievement in learning
- use different methods and styles of support to challenge learners
- innovate and take risks
- have a bigger impact on the planning and assessment for the learners they support
- demonstrate a higher level understanding of teaching and learning
- be able to coach colleagues to raise performance
This programme is for:
new and aspiring leaders in a first leadership position middle leaders who haven't undertaken any previous leadership development professional staff leading a team of support staff or administrators
This three-day programme (spanning two terms) will help you to understand yourself as a leader, understand others and develop good leadership skills.
Ideal for new and aspiring leaders or middle leaders in education who haven't had any previous leadership development.
You'll learn how to:
- develop your leadership skills and confidence
- develop strategies to lead and manage a team, improving teaching and learning
- monitor and manage staff learning and performance
- develop thinking, learning and communication styles
- model leadership
SAF is committed to action research as a continuous professional development tool to provide evidence based strategies to enhance the teaching and learning experience for all. If you engaged in a research project in your own Academy and would like to share or extend your research across the Trust, please let us know by using the button below.
SAF is committed to providing opportunities for all staff to develop their own skills, experience and career path. If you would like the opportunity to shadow another colleague anywhere within the Trust, please express your interest using the button below with details of your request and we will endeavour to facilitate this on your behalf. This opportunity is available to all teaching and support staff.
SAF is committed to providing opportunities for all staff to develop their own skills, experience and career path. If you would like the opportunity to carry out a secondment at another Academy anywhere within the Trust, please express your interest using the button below with details of your request and we will endeavour to facilitate this on your behalf. This opportunity is available to all teaching and support staff. Please be aware that secondments will need to be negotiated with the Principals of your Academy and the secondment Academy.
SAF is committed to providing ongoing, bespoke and timely CPD. As part of this commitment, SAF and all member Academies benefit from subscribing to Optimus Education.
Our membership include access to:-
Use of ready-made, quality assured model policy templates to make sure we meet our statutory requirements.
Checklists and year planners
Use of Ofsted inspection checklists, role-specific checklists and year planners to ensure we fulfil our core responsibilities.
An excellent way to get information and food for thought in a short space of time.
Latest updates, insights, practical guidance and resources for our whole leadership team.
Access a growing bank of ready-to-deliver, customisable training courses. Devised by teaching experts and tested in schools.
My learning record
Individual CPD portfolio by adding and tracking all training with Optimus Education.
If there are other opportunities that you would like SAF to facilitate on your behalf please express an interest using the button below.